Thursday, July 24, 2008

Good News


I took Sugar Franklin in for her follow-up on the yeast thing. I should know soon.

While I was there I asked Dr. Z if she knew about my deceased friend's birds. It turns out that my ex-friend (who took the birds in) did not give one of the birds to the woman who mistreats her birds! And that she wouldn't even consider doing so. I cannot express how relieved I am. It was incomprehensible to me that my ex-friend would do such a thing, but people change and I haven't talked to her in over a year. But the birds are safe!

My friend J called late last night and left a message. His brown-headed parrot had bitten his hand several times and I could tell he needed to talk about behavior issues. The bird is 3 years old and has never bitten him before.

I chatted with him via e-mail today. From what I can make out, the bird was doing the skirt dance and J interrupted her a bit too abruptly. And took her to the cage when she wasn't ready to go. I think. It's impossible to know for sure. Anyway, I told him it's important for the bird to feel it has some control over its environment, that next time ask her to step up and if she refuses, go away and do something else for a few minutes. Then ask again; the odds are good the bird will be more than happy to step up because it will be her choice. And that he must watch her body language at all times -- 99.99 percent of the time a parrot will warn you when it's going to bite.

People who own parrots must be insane. I know I am.

1 comment:

Mary said...

I'm glad your friend is willing to work with his parrot. So many people aren't willing to work past biting :(

I've been giving a lot of thought to your chorus group fundraising. Some ideas I had were putting out a holiday CD -- you can sell them on cdbaby.com. You could make your group (or parts -- not sure how big it is!) available for weddings, etc. One thing that my sister's band does is people can hire them to play a few Christmas carols for their friends in December. You guys could have a living Christmas card.

If you're 501(c)(3) (or some other registered nonprofit), I know that some restaurants around here will donate a portion of their proceeds if you gather up a group of people to work there. Our local major league baseball team also does that with running one of the concession stands. Maybe something like that exists near you?

I don't know if any of these ideas are decent or may spark something in you, but I will keep thinking and let you know if I can come up with anything else!